A quartzite countertop is a beautiful and durable option for your kitchen, but there are some things you should know before making the purchase. This article will cover those details so that you can make an informed decision.
What Is a Quartzite Countertop?
Quartzite is a type of natural stone material that has the appearance and texture of marble. It is extremely durable, scratch-resistant, and heat resistant. Quartzite countertops are available in both solid colors or patterns, which can be made to look like other types of stones such as granite or slate.
In some cases, the quartzite may have a gray color to it which can be made more subtle by adding colors such as white or black. The appearance of this countertop is very similar to granite, although in most cases, it’s just not possible for you to tell them apart without touching both materials. Quartzite usually has slight variations on the surface, and sometimes you may find some veins running through the stone.
Quartzite is a natural product, so no two slabs are going to be identical, which can make it hard for people who want uniformity in their home décor to find what they’re looking for. Quartzite will also have a different look when viewed from certain angles.
Quartzite Countertop vs. Quartz Countertop
A quartz countertop is made of man-made materials, and it typically has a glossy finish to it. You can buy these types of counters in both solid colors or patterns that resemble other natural stones like granite, marble, slate, limestone, travertine, etc. Quartzite also comes in many different styles, but the difference between this material and quartz is subtle as they have similar textures and finishes. To know more about their differences, click here.
Quartzite Countertop vs. Granite Countertops
Granite is the most popular type of natural stone used as countertops. It can be found in many different colors and patterns, which makes it possible for people to find what they’re looking for without having a one-of-a-kind piece that will stand out among other pieces of theirs or their neighbor’s home décor.
Quartzites, on the other hand, come in solid colors, so if you want something with color variations, this may not be your best option. You don’t have to worry about scratches because quartzites are extremely durable, but heat resistance isn’t quite as good so consider using protective pads underneath pots or pans when cooking food on these counters.
Quartzite Countertop vs. Marble Countertops
Marble is the other natural stone material used as countertops. It has a similar appearance to quartzite, which makes it easy for people with marble counters in their homes to switch over by just changing out the tops without having any noticeable differences in design. Marbles are also heat-resistant and scratch-resistant, but because they’re more porous than quartzites, you have to be extra careful when using cleaners on them; otherwise your counters may start looking worse than before you cleaned them.
What Are The Advantages Of Quartzite Countertop?
Following are the advantages of quartzite countertop:
- Quartzite is a natural stone, and it has been made into countertops for centuries.
- It’s scratch-resistant, with properties that make it easy to clean and maintain.
- The texture of quartzite varies from very smooth to slightly rough in some cases – the finish is matte but can be sealed or polished to bring out an even shinier look than most other types of stones available today.
- It doesn’t require much maintenance, which means less time spent on cleaning and preparing food at home. This makes your cooking experience more enjoyable because you won’t have as many distractions when trying to cook meals or bake desserts without worrying about ruining your counters every now and then.
- Quartzite is a durable stone, which means it will last for decades and still look great.
- It doesn’t require sealing or polishing, making the upkeep process much easier than other types of countertops available today.
- Quartzite has been engineered to withstand high heat without cracking or melting because its natural composition includes aluminum oxide crystallites in addition to silicon dioxide crystals that make up silica sandstone sedimentary rock.
- The material is resistant to abrasion from knife edges and can resist stains caused by acidic foods like lemon juice, wine, coffee mugs full of tea, etc., unlike traditional materials used for kitchen counters tops such as granite or marble, which are more sensitive when they come into contact with these things.
What Are The Disadvantages of Quartzite Countertop?
Following are the disadvantages of quartzite countertop:
- Quartzite is more prone to stains and scratches
- Needs to be sealed with a clear sealer
- The colors are less bright than granite, marble, or other natural stone surfaces.
- It can’t withstand the same amount of heat like steel or stainless steel cooking appliances such as ovens, stovetops, and sinks. There are also concerns that the surface will crack from sudden changes in temperature, like when you put something cold on it or if you pour hot water over it too quickly. This makes them unsuitable for places where there’s a lot of cooking activity happening at any given time.
How To Clean Quartzite Countertops?
- Wipe down the quartzite counter with a clean, dry cloth.
- If you are using a liquid household cleaner on your Quartzite Countertop, please be sure to read and follow all safety precautions listed on the product label.
- Do not use any abrasive cleaners or scrubbers as they will scratch the surface of the quartzite, which could lead to further etching. If necessary, light abrasives such as baking soda can be used for gentle cleaning; however, do not allow it to stay in contact with the counter longer than 15 minutes before rinsing off thoroughly and wiping away residue with a dry towel.
Now that you know important details about the quartzite countertop, you can make a well-informed decision. Make sure that the quartzite material you choose aligns with your existing kitchen decor. Considering they come in a variety of options, you will not have to worry about finding the right one.