In interior design, lighting is crucial in setting the mood and creating the desired atmosphere. Pendant lights are a versatile lighting option that can add functional and aesthetic value to any room in your home. This article will explore these lights in more detail, including what they are, how they work, and why they’re popular among homeowners.
What are they?
Light fixtures that hang from the ceiling by a cord, chain, or metal rod are commonly referred to as pendant lights or suspension lights. They come in various shapes, sizes, and designs, making them versatile options for different interior styles. Suspension lights can be used as a single statement piece or grouped to create a dramatic effect. They are commonly used in kitchens and dining rooms but can be used in any house room.
How do Suspension lights Work?
Suspension lights transmit light downwards, creating a focused and directional illumination. They often highlight specific areas or objects, such as a kitchen island or a dining table. The height of suspension lights can be adjusted by shortening or lengthening the cord, chain, or rod, allowing for flexibility in lighting design.
Why are Suspension lights a Popular Choice?
There are several reasons why suspension lights are a popular choice for homeowners:
- They are versatile and can be used in various interior design styles, from traditional to modern.
- They are a great option for creating a focal point in a room, whether a statement piece on its own or a group of pendants.
- Suspension lights are practical, providing a direct and focused light source for cooking, reading, or working tasks.
Types of Suspension lights
There are many suspension lights, each with a unique style and function. Here are a few examples:
- Glass Suspension lights – Glass suspension lights are popular for their elegant and timeless look. They can be clear or coloured and have various shapes and textures, from smooth and shiny to frosted and etched.
- Industrial Suspension lights – Industrial suspension lights are often made from metal or concrete and have a raw, edgy look. They are a popular choice for loft-style apartments or industrial-inspired interiors.
- Drum Suspension lights – Drum suspension lights are cylindrical, resembling a drum. They are popular for modern interiors and come in various colours and patterns.
- Mini Suspension lights – Mini suspension lights are smaller than traditional ones, making them a great option for smaller rooms or spaces. They can be used as a single statement piece or grouped for a more dramatic effect.
Tips for Choosing Suspension lights
Choosing the right suspension lights for your home can be daunting, but with a few tips, you can make the process easier. Here are some things to consider:
- Functionality – Consider the room’s function and how the suspension lights will be used. For example, choose a direct and focused light source if you install suspension lights in a kitchen.
- Style – Consider the style of the room and choose suspension lights that complement the overall design. For example, choose a sleek and minimalist pendant light if you have a modern interior.
- Size – Consider the size of the room and the ceiling height when choosing suspension lights. You don’t want the suspension lights to overpower the room, but you also want them manageable so they get lost in the space.
- Colour – Consider the colour of the suspension lights and how they will fit with the room’s colour scheme. Choose suspension lights that contrast with the wall colour, or choose a colour that matches the accents in the room.
- Installation – Consider the installation process and whether you need to hire a professional electrician. Suspension lights must be properly installed for safety reasons, so following the instructions carefully is important.
Suspension lights are a versatile lighting option that can add functional and aesthetic value to any room in your home. With various styles, shapes, and sizes, there’s a pendant light for every interior design style. When choosing pendant lights, consider the room’s function, the space’s style, the room’s size, the colour scheme, and the installation process. With these tips, you can choose the perfect pendant lights to create your home’s desired mood and atmosphere.