The chore of buying a mattress! Seems excruciating, doesn’t it? With very many brands making their way through the market offer a wide variety, it is bound to happen. But, worry not. We are on a mission to make things simpler for you. Today, we are here to talk about two popular kinds of beds, i.e., futon and latex mattresses. We know you probably have a plethora of questions swarming in your mind, and we are here to answer them all. Well, what are you waiting for? Keep scrolling to know more.
What Is A Futon Mattress?
Did you know? The word futon is actually ancient Japanese for cushion filled with leaves.
Futon mattresses are bendable beds that play the role of a couch and also a bed. Now, you can even ditch the frame and use the futon mattress as a standalone too. Today, you will find either wooden or metallic futon frames. If you are going for a rustic look, the wooden one is the perfect choice. However, if mod-contemporary is what you are looking for, then opt for the metal one. When it comes to the mattress, things get interesting. Popularly there are at least four types.
- Chair futon mattress – approximately 28 inches wide
- Twin futon mattress – about 39 inches wide
- Full futon – around 72 to 75 inches wide
- Queen size futon – approximately 77 to 80 inches wide
Did you think it was one size fits all? Nope. The futon mattress is designed for a broad audience, and they are oh-so-comfy. When it comes to the thickness of the mattress (don’t worry, they are no longer filled with leaves), it varies from brand to brand and the kind of material the bed is made of. Generally, it is filled with cotton, but that can differ from one brand to another.
It initially originated in Japan but came to the US in the 1980s, thanks to William Brouwer, who was inspired by the bedding, launched the futon sofa bed in 1982.
So, what are futons made of? Like mentioned earlier, futons can have cotton stuffing while the cover is either made of cotton or polyester. However, some futon mattresses also come with memory foam to ensure more comfortable cushioning. So, if you are wondering what is the best memory foam mattress on a space and budget constraint, then you can try a futon mattress. However, many memory foam mattress brands provide affordable options with added financing.
Advantages Of Futon Mattress
- Futon mattresses are designed to be used on the floors. So, it helps relieve any minor back pain that you are suffering from.
- If you buy a 100 percent cotton futon mattress, they are chemical-free and can help you combat your allergies.
- Air circulation is better, ensuring heat doesn’t get trapped in the bed.
- They are easy to clean.
- They are not very expensive.
Disadvantages Of Futon Mattress
- It can get flattened to the ground very easily.
- Uneven distribution of weight.
- Some people don’t find it very comfortable.
What Is Latex Mattress?
Natural latex mattresses come from the sap of a rubber tree. They are entirely natural, allergy-free, and totally eco-friendly. There are two types of latex mattresses- Dunlop and Talalay. Generally, the latex mattress is combined with other natural fillings to ensure a perfect end result.
It was discovered by Dunlopillo in the 1900s, and he created latex mattresses and pillows for pure comfort.
Advantages Of Latex Mattresses
- The elastic properties in latex mattresses help in pain relief as they respond to the way you move while you sleep.
- They are durable. So, if you are wondering how long does a latex mattress lastsif you invest in a good brand can last anywhere between 12 to 20 years.
- Latex mattresses are easy to maintain, and you don’t have to flip them every now and then.
- They are hypoallergenic, which means that they are resistant to dust mites and ensures you have an allergy-free sleep.
- They are eco-friendly.
Disadvantages Of Latex Mattress
- It can be too firm for some people.
- It is heavy.
- The compression rate is high. That is, if you sleep in the same position for a long time, you will leave your imprint.
- If your partner moves a lot while sleeping, there are chances you will feel it too with latex.
So, now that you are equipped with all the information, you can make the right choice!