We all know how important oral hygiene is and hopefully, you have a good routine already in place that involves brushing, flossing and antiseptic mouthwash. Some people dread the thought of having to endure root canal treatment, which happens to be a way to save a tooth and if such treatment isn’t appealing, here are a few tips to avoid the root canal treatment experience.
- Daily Brushing And Flossing – As tooth decay is a common reason for root canal treatment and regular brushing and flossing after every meal is an effective prevention against root canal problems. The food and drink we consume contains sugar; this is perfect food for unhealthy bacteria that reside in our oral cavity, with a coating of sugary substance on the tooth enamel and that is largely removed with brushing, flossing and the use of mouthwash.
- Use A Fluoride-Based Toothpaste – It is widely recognised that fluoride helps in the fight against tooth decay. Your dentist can make toothpaste (and brush) recommendations to ensure you make the right choices. Always remember to rinse thoroughly after brushing, to ensure that everything is ejected, leaving your mouth clean and fresh.
- Regular Check-Ups – The best preventative measure against an oral threat is regular dental check-ups; most people book every 6 months. A deep clean and polishing from the hygienist is a good idea. Take gum disease, for example, if the dentist encounters this condition in its infancy, immediate action would eliminate the need for root canal treatment. A local Miami dentist is always happy to receive a new patient. The clinic has state of the art facilities and offer many cosmetic treatments, such as laser teeth whitening. To find reputable dental clinics near you, a Google search is the fastest way.
- Sports Protection – If you play a contact sport, you should protect your teeth from injury; a badly jarred tooth might need root canal treatment and freak accidents happen all the time. Talk to your coach about mouthguards; you can put one in hot water and it will bond to the shape of your teeth, making for a perfect fit.
- Don’t Ignore Toothache – Nature is a wonderful thing and when you experience pain, this is a sign that something is wrong and you should seek out a local dentist to find out what’s causing the pain. Gum infection often begins with a dull ache at the bottom of the teeth; it is easy to get used to and to even forget about it! This could be the onset of periodontitis or something worse. The sooner you see the dentist, the better.
In the event you do need root canal treatment, it isn’t the end of the world and there are pain medications that are very effective. Once done, the root canal treatment enables the tooth to survive. If you take good care of your teeth and gums, you won’t ever have to undergo root canal treatment.