Hazards Present in Almost Every House

6 Health Hazards Present in Almost Every House

“Home is a shelter from storms-all sorts of storms.”-William J. Bennett.

The word ‘home’ generally conjures up the feeling of safety and warmth. However, it’s worthwhile if we can attain a blend of these feelings. Every individual seeks peace and tranquility in their humble abodes. After a grueling, hectic day at work, we seek the solace and comfort of our home to unwind. However, we might not know that there are potentially hazardous materials and bacteria plaguing our house. The presence of such bacteria, germs, or even various household objects can prove harmful to our health. From the growing mold and mildew to poisonous rodenticides, torn electrical wires, and shabby ladders. Many factors pose a threat to our and our loved one’s well-being.

Accidents are an inevitable part of human life, and surprisingly, dangerous mishaps can occur at home. For avoiding a lifetime of guilt, it is essential to realize that these accidents are preventable if dealt with carefully. Constant awareness is the key to keep your home and family members safe. Fortunately, the health hazards that lurk around in almost every house are easy to address and eliminate.

Undeniably, your abode may not be the haven you think it is. Therefore, read on and get yourself acquainted with the possible health hazards that may be present at your home.

Asbestos exposure

Asbestos is a naturally occurring fiber that might be present in your home. It is found in many house construction materials and equipment. It could be in the vermiculite-based insulation in your attic, the floor tiles, or even the house sidings or roof. However, if inhaled, it can cause lung cancer or asbestosis. It can even cause deadly cancer “Mesothelioma,” which has no cure. Common symptoms of mesothelioma can include shortness of breath, chronic cough, fever, and breathing problems. You can learn more about these symptoms, which will help you in the early diagnosis and proper treatment. Additionally, doctors recommend patients get regular imaging tests if they have a history of asbestos exposure.

Carbon Monoxide

Several systems in our home can be a reason for the spread of carbon monoxide. It’s virtually impossible to detect the smell since it’s invisible and scentless. Exposure to low levels of CO can lead to dizziness and frequent headaches. In contrast, high exposure can cause nausea, shortness of breath, poor vision, and in some instances, death. Therefore, if you are suffering from these quite frequently, visit a doctor. Sources of CO are stove, oven, gas leakage from furnaces, fireplace, and even car exhaust. To avoid such accidents, ensure regular services and inspections of your appliances. Additionally, replace old and dirty air filters and choose vented appliances or install a carbon monoxide detector.

Electrical dangers

Many of us aren’t aware of what goes inside the walls and wires of our house. Any issue with the electricity can cause fire and short-circuits, which can lead to disasters. One of the common causes of electrical short-circuit is the placement of switchboards near water sources because water is a conductor of electricity. Furthermore, appliances need a certain amount of wattage to operate, and the fixtures are rated to handle the capacity. Overheating and fire can result if the wattage is more than the fixture’s capacity. Therefore, ensure to have a working safety switch. It will immediately shut off the power to prevent electrocution or fire if anything goes south. Broken wall plates and exposed wiring increase the risk of encountering electrical shocks damaging certain body parts and can result in immediate death.

Choking and strangulation hazards

Choking is hazardous for children and infants who would put anything in their mouths. Regularly sweep your house, especially if there are children, to ensure such casualties are out of the way. Moreover, to shun the dangers of strangulation, cut, trim or, tie any cords present on curtains or blinds to the extent that is only accessible to adults. Avoid placing furniture near windows that will allow the child to climb on and reach the curtain cords.


Numerous health hazards take place due to excessive moisture. Mold is a living organism and a form of fungus that grows in a warm, damp place. The color of mold can be black, gray, green, or brown. Mold discolors a surface and stains it, too. It smells musty and grows on walls, woodwork, carpet, and ceilings. The presence of tiny mold particles in the atmosphere can lead to respiratory diseases, dryness of the nose, asthma, and allergies. It can even cause aspergillosis in some people.

Furthermore, mold can stick to objects like vehicles, clothes, and furniture, etc. You can use water, vinegar, soap, and baking soda to scrub the mold off. If mold inhabited more than ten square ft area, contact a professional remediator. Do not try mold remediation yourself.

Falling Objects

We often don’t pay any heed to furniture items or heavy objects that could tip over. It can prove dangerous for all the family members. Children are often fascinated by hanging objects, and there is a greater risk of pulling down those objects on themselves. Drill directly into the wall and if you are unsure about it, hire a contractor to do it for you. Avoid placing your television on the dressers that can be mounted directly into the wall. Additionally, do not place appealing items on the top of the shelves or dressers attracting your child’s attention. Glass jars and pottery are also some heavy objects, so place them carefully in a cabinet or the utensil basket.

Final Words

Nothing is as crucial as keeping your family safe. These are some basic things that require check and balance. Therefore, do not neglect them as they may lead to severe consequences. By taking care of these health hazards, you can create a safe and healthy environment for your family members. The goal is not to get rid of every single pitfall but to minimize the hazards. The hazards around the house are avoidable if you’re vigilant about taking preventive measures. However, many of us might deem our humble abodes as safe and secure, while the reality may be farther than that. Therefore, check for asbestos presence, monitor the equipment releasing carbon monoxide, get rid of heavy equipment, etc.

About Ambika Taylor

Myself Ambika Taylor. I am admin of https://hammburg.com/. For any business query, you can contact me at [email protected]