Like the rest of Australia, we’re on a major gin buzz lately and picking just one ‘drink of the week’ was proving difficult. So after much deliberation, we’ve narrowed it down to just two: Never Never Triple Juniper Gin and Patient Wolf Summer Thyme gin. Get the lowdown on these distilleries, the drinks they make and how you can use them below!
The story behind Never Never Distilling
The ‘Never Never’ is a term used to describe the immense space in the Australian outback. The space is so vast it goes beyond where the eye can see and offers unlimited adventure to those who visit it. This is what inspired the distillery’s name and shaped the three founders’ experience along the way! Three mates George, Sean and Tim, forged one idea and together they embody a fearless approach to bringing the most innovative, award-winning gin to the market. Distilled in South Australia’s renowned Mclaren Vale, but cherished across the globe, they self-confess that this distillery “stepped into the unknown”. The leap of faith paid off, however, and they’re quality drinks are now making a global mark on the gin world.
Never Never Triple Juniper Gin
Paying homage to the days when juniper dominated gin, they’ve combined three different distilling processes to uncover unique, botanical flavours of, you guessed it – juniper! Taking the style of a signature London Dry Gin, this is the perfect main character energy your gin and tonic or gin cocktails need! Speaking of cocktails – if you like the look and texture of a whiskey or amaretto sour but are still a die-hard, gin fiend, the Gin Fizz is the cocktail for you! Here’s how to whip it up.
Never Never Gin Fizz Cocktail
- 60ml Never Never Triple Juniper Gin
- 22ml of lemon juice
- 15ml of simple syrup or maple syrup
- 1 egg white – (optional, but who can omit that fluffiness?)
- Soda water (just a splash)
- Lemon wedge/twist for garnish
- In a chilled cocktail shaker, pour in the gin, lemon juice, syrup and egg white. Shake as if your life depended on it for at least 15 seconds.
- Add ice to the shaker and mix for an additional 30 seconds until really cold.
- Strain the drink into a glass and top with a splash of soda water – this will entice the egg white to foam up and voilå – there comes the fizz!. Garnish with a lemon twist, serve and sip.
Patience is a virtue and a damn fine drink
With a name like ‘Patient Wolf, it’s no surprise that this distillery’s mantra is “good things take time” – and things are certainly going good if you have this gin in your glass! A hybrid of old old traditions and new technology, they’ve created a pure, aromatic and refined gin that has taken the gin scene by storm in Melbourne and across Australia. They’ve taken on the role of being ‘new guardians of cocktail culture’’ and it seems to be suiting them, having recently been the official gin partner for the Formula One Australian Grand Prix!
Patient Wolf Summer Thyme Gin
Don’t let the name fool you, this spirit is inspired by summer but can be sipped all year around. Fresh thyme mingles with lemon in Patient Wolf’s custom made copper still to create a peppy gin packed with zestiness and slightly herbal flavours. Enjoy this lively number over ice with tonic or in a cocktail and you’ll instantly feel like you’re beachside. Patient Wolf’s team comprises a high-calibre group of bartending veterans who are always stretching the limits of this spirit. Here’s one of their unique recipes:
Summer Thyme Eastside Cocktail
Patient Wolf is changing direction with this cocktail, adding a light and fresh flare to the well-known ‘Southside Cocktail’. Usually made with just mint, cucumber is added in here to ‘lift the spirits’. Behold the Summer Thyme Eastside Cocktail.
- 50ml Patient Wolf Summer Thyme Gin
- 20ml lime juice
- 2 tsp sugar
- 5 mint leaves
- 2 x slices of cucumber
- Blend the gin, lime juice, sugar, four mint leaves and one slice of cucumber in a chilled cocktail shaker.
- Shake with ice for 15-30 seconds. Pour into chilled glasses with the use of a cocktail strainer and fine sieve (optional).
- Garnish with the leftover mint leaf and cucumber.
Fancy getting your hands on these tipples or looking for something else? Whether it’s a vast range of gin or other spirits you’re after, the team at Sessions Liquor have got you covered. Visit sessionsliquor.com.au or chat with the team in-store at Session Liquor in Brunswick or Sandringham.