It is okay to feel stressed and overwhelmed about your divorce. Ending a marriage is a big decision that will eventually impact everything in your life. You may have a supportive family and friends to rely on, but when it comes to legal advice, you have to meet a professional. The first meeting with a Boston divorce lawyer can help understand the complications of family law. If you are wondering whether you need an attorney, you should know that divorces are more than just paperwork. Yes, you have to sign agreements and documents, but before that, you have to agree on key matters, including child custody, child support, spousal support, and distribution of marital assets. If you have your concerns, here’s what you can expect when working with a divorce lawyer in Boston.
- Listening to your story. Divorce lawyers are not therapists, but they can be empathetic and extremely patient. Your lawyer is your key resource for knowing about family law (people often don’t know about laws related to divorce, until they are going through it). They will answer all your relevant questions, explain how things may shape up during the divorce, and ensure that you have realistic expectations from the process.
- Explaining Massachusetts divorce laws. Once your lawyer knows your story, they will explain how the divorce laws work in the state. They will also share the time required to get the divorce. You may have a really simple divorce if you and your spouse can agree on the key aspects we mentioned earlier.
- Start the paperwork. Your lawyer will then explain the paperwork involved. If the lawyer agrees to take the case, they will then start gathering documents, records, and information that may come in handy to take the case ahead. You will need to share the details of the properties you and your spouse own along with income information and expenses.
- Negotiate with your spouse. Your spouse will eventually hire an attorney, and if there are points of contention, your attorney will negotiate with the other lawyer. Going to court would be an expensive affair for everyone, and divorce lawyers have a huge role in how things are settled.
- Protect your rights. When you hire an attorney, it is their job to ensure that you don’t get a raw deal from the divorce. This may mean devising a legal strategy and focusing on key goals.
Check online for divorce lawyers in your area in Boston now!