What is the first thing about your Netgear WiFi router that provokes hackers to access its network? Its SSID. So, what to do to prevent unauthorized users from accessing your WiFi network and stealing your personal information? Well, it’s simple: hide the SSID.
Are you doubtful of how to do that? If you are nodding your head in yes, worry not because we have got you covered. In this article, we have mentioned the guidelines that you need to go through in order to disable SSID broadcast on your Netgear Nighthawk router. So, read on.
Steps to Hide SSID on Your Netgear WiFi Router
Here is how you can disable SSID broadcast on your Netgear wireless device:
- Plug your Netgear Nighthawk router into a working wall outlet.
- Press the Power button.
- Wait for some time and let the power LED become green.
- Once the LED is stable, grab an Ethernet cable.
- Connect one end of the Ethernet cable to the Netgear wireless router and another to the existing modem.
- Thereafter, switch on your computer or laptop.
- Launch an internet browser.
- In the URL bar of the internet browser, type routerlogin.net.
- The Nighthawk router login page will appear on your screen.
- When prompted, input the default admin details.
- Click Log In.
- You will find yourself on the main dashboard of your Netgear Nighthawk router.
- Head over to the Settings menu.
- Go to Wireless Settings under the BASIC tab.
- The Wireless Settings page will come into view.
- Clear the Enable SSID Broadcast check mark.
- Click Apply.
- Wait for a few seconds and let your changes become effective.
In a minute or two, the SSID of your Netgear Nighthawk will hide disabling hackers or other unauthorized users from accessing your home network and stealing your personal info.
If you are not able to change the SSID of your device in peace, consider following the hacks mentioned below. They will surely be of some assistance to you.
Fixed: Unable to Change SSID on Netgear Router
- Follow the Correct Steps
First of all, make sure that you have followed the aforementioned guidelines in the exact order as they are given. If not, start the process to change the SSID on your Netgear Nighthawk router from scratch.
- Verify the Ethernet Connection
Next, check the connection between your Netgear Nighthawk router and the existing modem. If the Ethernet cable connecting your wireless devices is worn out or damaged from anywhere, get it replaced with a new one immediately.
- Keep WiFi Interference at Bay
Chances are that you have placed your Netgear wireless router near WiFi-interference devices. If so, relocate your router and ensure that this time it is not place anywhere near cordless phones, washing machines, baby monitors, treadmills, televisions, microwave ovens, refrigerators, Bluetooth speakers, mirrors, fish tanks, aluminum studs, etc.
- Update Firmware
An outdated firmware can also stop you from successfully disabling SSID broadcast on your Netgear Nighthawk router. Therefore, do not wait any more and update the firmware of your device to the latest version.
- Check Power Supply
In case your Netgear Nighthawk router is connected to a damaged wall socket, you know what to do: plug your device into another electrical outlet.
Once you are done following these troubleshooting hacks, try to hide the network name of your wireless device again. Any luck?
Disabling SSID broadcast on your Netgear Nighthawk router is an amazing way to safeguard your wireless network from the prying eyes of hackers. We hope that the aforementioned guidelines helped you hiding the network name of your WiFi router in a hassle-free manner. If they did, do share your feedback via the comment section.