EPC Register

Non Domestic EPC Register

Looking to buy, rent, or sell commercial property in the UK?   If so, it’s important to get acquainted with the non domestic EPC Register, especially if you’re interested in properties that are energy efficient!

The non domestic EPC register is a registry of EPCs (energy performance certificates) for non domestic buildings, or buildings used for commercial purposes.  Like domestic EPCs, or EPCs used for domestic (residential) properties, EPCs are also mandatory for commercial properties in the United Kingdom. Such non domestic EPCs are valid for ten years.

Because it holds a large number of non domestic EPCs from all over the UK, the register is a valuable source for those wanting to learn more about the energy efficiency of any commercial property.  This is especially important to consider when buying or renting a property:  if you want to save money, choosing a property with an excellent EPC means you are choosing efficiency, protecting the environment, and saving money at the same time!

What is a Non Domestic EPC?

An energy performance certificate, or EPC, is meant to measure the efficiency of a property’s electrical systems.  This is done on a graded scale from “A” to “G,” where “A” is the most efficient and “G” is the least efficient.

As of 2018, all commercial properties will need a rating of at least “E” every time it is rented or sold (i.e. there is a change of lease).  By 2023, however, all buildings, including ones with current leases, will have to have a certificate stating that the building has a grade of at least “E.”

If the building’s grade is lower, the building owner must renovate its electric systems to bring the grade up, assuming that doing so does not significantly impact the owner’s finances or the building’s insulation systems.

You will need a non domestic EPC for a commercial property if:

  • You plan to rent it out to others.
  • You plan to sell it to others.
  • A commercial building has just been built.
  • There are major changes to the building’s heating, air-conditioning, or ventilation systems. This may especially the case for buildings with separate businesses or occupants.

Depending on the uses of the commercial building, you must display an EPC on its premises.  This is the case for the following buildings:

  • The building is frequented often by members of the public.
  • The building’s total usable floor space is over 500 square meters.
  • An EPC was already produced for the building when it was constructed, rented, or sold.

Remember, the non-residential EPC is a requirement for your property if it matches these descriptions.  As such, you can be fined between £500 and £5,000 if an EPC is not made properly available for the property in question when requested.

If you are unsure whether you must obtain or display a non domestic EPC on your building, it is important to ask local authorities before deciding not to obtain or display one.

How do I check whether a property’s EPC is in the Non Domestic EPC register?

Because non domestic EPCs are valid for ten years, many buildings have valid certificates, which may be checked on the register’s website.

If you have the certificate’s report reference number (RRN), a twenty-four digit code located on the front of the certificate, you may enter it to retrieve a copy of the certificate.  Otherwise, you may search the non domestic EPC register by address.

It is important to note that you and others are allowed to opt out of having your property listed in the register.  This means that if you would prefer that others are not able to see your building’s EPC, you may keep it off the register.  At the same time, this means that while using the register to look up certificates may be useful, it is not a foolproof way of learning more about a building.

Still, you may be able to see a building’s EPC even if it is not present on the register.  If you are interested in purchasing or renting out a commercial property, for example, and the property’s EPC is not listed in the register, you may ask the building owner for the EPC. They will be obligated to provide a copy if they are showing you the property for a potential purchase or rental arrangement.

Interested in getting a Non Domestic EPC? 

If your building does not have an EPC or is not listed in the non domestic EPC register, and you’d like to sell or rent the building, you must arrange to get one.  This can be done by hiring a qualified assessor who will inspect the building and then issue the certificate.

Looking for an assessor for your commercial property?  Check out our website today for a list of qualified professionals near you!

About Ambika Taylor

Myself Ambika Taylor. I am admin of https://hammburg.com/. For any business query, you can contact me at [email protected]