With time, in any organization, comes the need for upgradation and changes. This is to effectively manage and handle the new operations and challenges, whether big or small. One such upgrade is the use of the intranet structure for internal communication.
Crystal-clear internal communication is one of the great goals of companies and organizations. It is the most efficient way to carry out complex tasks successfully. It helps with the internal structure and improves the generation of new ideas. It is also an excellent way to limit communication between departments. For this reason, intranets have become the best management tool.
First, let’s talk about what employee intranet software brings on your table:
Realistic Advantages of Having An Intranet Software:
Greater Speed And Efficiency In Communication: The incorporation of an intranet to your company or organization will make internal communication much better. By having all the information in one place, employees can communicate and access it more quickly and easily.
Improve Security: An intranet helps increase the security of the company. The files will be accessible to different people, through usernames and passwords. Besides, it will have a great security barrier against possible hackers.
However, to achieve these advantages, one must know how to manage intranet software most effectively. Let’s see how you can do that:
#1 Define The Contents When Creating An Intranet:
As obvious as it may seem, the more information there is on our intranet, the better. However, it deserves more clarity and decluttered arrangement. The information that must be there is the one that is going to be used, the one that serves its users. Putting questions that are not going to be updated, or that you can find in Google in 3 seconds, is redundant, and only takes time away from the person who maintains it.
For this, we need to define the content while creating our intranet. You must relate the data to be on the intranet with:
- Templates with which you work daily in your organization, arranged by areas, by departments, or by topics.
- Processes of your organization, flow charts, graphs, videos, related to the process of your activity, and with the main activity of your company.
- Forms for users to make requests, contributions, manage permits, incidents, internal support tickets, require material, services, and resources for activities.
- Download area of the areas of interest of each user. For example, Payroll, certificates, promotions, files of all kinds related to the person, that is, with sensitive content, which can only be viewed by the user to whom it is addressed.
- Training areas in which users can learn about their activity, about the innovations that are coming out, about new processes that you incorporate.
Tip: Collect the common questions they ask you in writing, and make them available to everyone. This way, you can avoid answering the same thing more times.
#3 Locate The Contents
As said in the previous point that in the intranet “the more information there is, the better”, it is closely related to the fact that access to that information must be quick, easy, and comfortable. If working with the intranet does not entail usability, easy handling, you will begin to have fewer users on it.
To do this, you must put yourself in the shoes of the user, who is going to look for that information they need. They need to look for it in seconds, from their mobile, or in the office, or wherever they are.
#3 Management of Your Intranet:
As a famous phrase says, “power without control is useless”, this is very applicable to the administration of your corporate network. Therefore, for the management of your network and to avoid future problems, you must define the following in writing:
- Management Documents.
- Roles and responsibilities.
- Decision-making process in the event of problems/doubts / etc. and a record of incidents/controversies.
- Rules for using the Intranet (It will be the first document that will be on your corporate intranet), with a guide on how to use it, types of users, etc.
So, these were the three essential points to manage your employee intranet software effectively. Feel free to comment your feedback below. And remember, when choosing an intranet software, go for a customized intranet completely adapted to your business. This will be the best way to shape well-defined objectives and to create correct use.