We should all be doing what we can to reduce our carbon footprint, as our planet needs all the help it can get to undo the damage we have done since the start of the Industrial Revolution. Some people start to make changes in the way they get around; selling that gas guzzler of a car for a more economical ride, while others look to recycle their waste, which is a great way of giving back.
If you are at all concerned that you aren’t doing enough to reduce your carbon footprint, here are just a few ideas.
- Buy items made from recycled materials – This used to be a difficult thing to do, however, there are many great products like recycled bike bags that are completely waterproof. You would be surprised to learn what products are actually made from recycled materials; Google is your best friend and can help you find anything.
- Eco-friendly transportation – Sell your 3l car and replace it with an Electric Vehicle, which means you are no longer pumping poison into the atmosphere and if you fancy becoming a fitter you, why not invest in a mountain bike and leave the car in the garage? Be part of the solution, not part of the problem and who knows, maybe your efforts will rub off on those around you.
- Solar energy – Wherever you live, solar panels are inexpensive and it takes around 3 years to get a return on the investment when you install a solar power system in your home. This makes for a very attractive proposition for the average homeowner and the thought of disconnecting from the national grid is very appealing. Fossil-fuel burning power stations need to be shut down and the more homeowners make the switch to clean and renewable energy, the quicker that time will come.
- Ban single-use plastic from your life – Doing this is a great way to live an eco-friendlier lifestyle; invest in a few reusable bags (made from recycled materials of course) and take them with you when you visit the supermarket, eliminating the need for the free plastic bags. When you go green, many people take notice and this leading by example often turns someone close to you to be greener in the way they live their life. You can also talk to your family and friends about the many little things that can be done to redress the balance of nature and become a green ambassador. Here is an article on why businesses should use eco-friendly packaging.
- Buy green products – As a consumer, you have a lot of power and if we all stood our ground and only purchased green products, the world would quickly change. Always look at the ingredients/materials and educate yourself about green business methods and products and your purchasing power should be directed to eco-friendly products.
ASEAN has some very good green policies in place, as do other organisations and indeed nations and all of this helps to heal the planet.