WordPress is a popular Content Management System that is gaining popularity among the e-commerce platform. E-commerce websites are built on the platform such as Magento, WordPress, Shopify, and more. WordPress developers can easily manage the website operations and integrate the best features in the e-commerce platform.
Why should you use WordPress development for websites?
- WordPress is in the market for a long time, and people are familiar with its functionalities. This means developers can easily manage the content on the website with unique features and plugins.
- This platform adapts to the digital world trends, which means it is an excellent source for growing the website. The website’s scalability in the e-commerce sector means you need to understand the CMS and meet business demands.
- Security is an essential part of the website as e-commerce store deals with sensitive information of the customers. WordPress has enhanced security tools that are supported by various security extensions.
- WordPress has a great collection of plugins to support various functionalities and features. There are some famous plugins like BigCommerce, WooCommerce, and more
A guide to starting a WordPress Website:
1. Get a Domain Name
The first thing to do is build a domain name, which means you need to search for your website’s web address. A domain name should display the brand name and represent the business. Some of the best extensions that are common and better options are:
- .com: This is a popular extension for the websites
- .net: This is freely available but commonly used for tech companies
- .org: It is available to everyone, popular for charities and NGOs
- .co: This is available for everyone that is associated with the start-ups and new organizations
There are premium domain names, which is the link to reach your website. It is a great thing to invest in a domain name that aligns with the e-commerce business.
2. Sign up a hosting provider
Once you have decided on the address, then you need to find a host for the website. This is an essential step in the website building process because, without a personal space, you might not get the right traffic. The WordPress hosting provider could meet specific criteria are:
- The PHP version should be 7.2 or greater
- MariaDB should have version 10.0 or more generous or MySQL version 5.6 or greater
- It has the support of HTTP
There are shared and managed WordPress hosting resources that can be suitable as per the business requirements. The shared hosting services can save storage and share the bandwidth, ideal for businesses with a limited budget. Managed WordPress hosting can take different forms of dedicated hosting or VPS, which is great for larger websites that require more resources. A quick overview of the sign up process is:
- Select a plan for your hosting services
- Link the domain name
- Set the billing details if required
3. Install the WordPress Platform
You need to install WordPress, which is an easy process. It is a hassle-free procedure that is handled with the help of a WordPress development company that is aware of the platform and understands your requirements.
4. Select a theme
This is an excellent part of the website that needs to be easily customized as per your website requirements. To install a WordPress theme look at the below steps:
- Login to the WordPress dashboard
- Go to the Appearance section, then click on the “Themes.”
- Then redirect to the “Add New” after that, browse the available themes or use the search bar to get specific results
- Take a demo if you need to understand the look and feel of the website
- If you find the right theme, then click on “Activate,” and it is all yours
5. Add the Content
There are two essential things to add content on the website, which are:
Pages: These are the static content that will be changed only when edited. An “About Us” page has constant data that doesn’t need to change regularly.
Posts: This can include the blog section where people can post regularly to gain more traffic and high ranks on the search engines.
6. Customize the website
Once you have finished adding some content to the website, it is the right time to customize it to make it engaging and interactive. Some easiest tricks to customize the WordPress website are:
- Change the website tile and taglines to make them more catchy
- Add a navigational menu to make it easier to navigate through the website for the visitors
- Set the homepage, which can be dynamic or static depending on your business requirements
- Customize the comment section to communicate with your visitors
7. Install Essential Plugins
This is an essential feature that enhances website performance by adding unique functions and features to the website. There are a great collection of plugins available in the market, but you need to select the best ones that do not affect the website performance or security.
8. Update the Platform
WordPress Development Company could help in performing regular updates to fix the security patches if any existed. As a business owner, you don’t want loopholes that can breach your website’s security through plugins and extensions, so keep them updated to avoid any online vulnerabilities.
Want to know the Website Performance?
Select certain metrics that can help in optimizing the website functionality and design to gain more attention. Some of them are:
- The cart abandonment rate shows the number of viewers that add the product in the card but does not complete the purchase.
- The Average order value helps in determining the profit gained on the e-commerce website. This figure of money depends on the website traffic and conversion rates.
- Record the bounce rate which displays visitors who visited the website but did not interact with it.
This strategy is followed for three important reasons, namely:
Is your website design suitable?
Testing gives an evidence about the things that work in the design. Something to consider are if the content are easy to read, simple, understandable, and visually appealing to the viewers. The testing gives an insight about the user behavior and find reasons to why people are exiting the website.
Analyze the website performance
Regularly testing the website helps in knowing the impact on the digital world. Generate a report that includes bounce rate, cart abandonment count, and average order value. These are the key indicators of the website performance and can help in managing the sales efficiently to increase conversion rates and gain organic traffic.
Evaluating the Website Appearance
The WordPress website might fail if you do not have the right design to engage more customers. The e-commerce platform needs to be interactive and gain users’ attention easily.
Summing it up!
This blog has given you the simplest way to start a WordPress website without any complications. Just hire WordPress developers to select the best domains, hosting service, themes, and add the content on the website.